Okay, that's just fun to say.
Truffle Bunnies. Ha!
Know what's not funny? How good they taste! I wanted to come up with a fun Easter dessert that was better than just sprinkled cupcakes and really decided to have some fun!
I put a twist on the classic, and super loved, cake pop. Instead of shaping into a perfect ball, I made more of an egg shape, slightly flattened. Instead of using a cake pop stick, I simply allowed it to harden on a cookie sheet after sticking in some marshmallow ears! I finished them off with a sprinkle nose and some piped melted chocolate and they were set!
So easy and so delicious.
- Snack size cake mix (makes roughly 12 cupcakes) or you can double the whole recipe with a normal boxed cake mix.
- Ingredients to make cake
- I can of frosting (any flavor)
- 12 large marshmallows
- pink sugar sprinkles
- 4 cups white chocolate candy melts (I like Wilton Candy Melts)
- 1/2 cup black candy melts (again, I like Wilton Candy melts)
- 2 pink sprinkles (or 1/2 cup pink candy melts)
- cookie sheet
- wax paper
- ziploc bag or piping bags
- Make the cake according to the directions. Let fully cool.
- Crumble up cake into a bowl.
- Add half a container of frosting. It should hold the pieces together without being too wet or sticky. Be careful not to add too much frosting.
- Put the bowl in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- While the mixture is in the fridge lay wax paper down on a large 13 x 9 cookie sheet.
- Cut the marshmallows into 4 pieces, parallel to the flat edges. Dip one side of the sticky marshmallow into the pink sugar and set aside. Repeat for all the marshmallow pieces.
- Remove bowl and roll 2 tablespoons of the mixture into a ball and flatten out a bit to give it a face shape.
- Put into fridge again.
- While they are in the fridge, heat up the white chocolate candy melts. I used a microwave or you can use a double broiler. Be careful not to burn the chocolate.
- When the candy is melted, remove the cake balls from the fridge and dip into the white chocolate, being sure to coat the whole ball.
- Let excess candy drip off and then place on the wax lined cookie sheet. Immediately press two marshmallow ears to the top so that they are also resting on the cookie sheet. If using a pink sprinkle for the nose, now is the time to place it.
- When all the cake balls have been coated and given ears, put them back in the fridge for 15 more minutes.
- As they candy melts are setting, melt the black candy melts and place into a ziploc bag or piping bag.
- Remove from fridge and draw your bunny eyes and mouth.