I have been on a pretty awesome health kick lately. Menu planning, meal planning, pre-prepping snacks... I'm "in it" now and it feels good. I did lose a handful of pounds and then went a week of not prepping and felt myself falling back. Sad.
This week however, I'm prepping my favorite meal and wanted to share!
Southwest Chicken Bowls
1/2 tsp EVOO
2 cups fresh or frozen corn
1 can black beans (low sodium), rinsed
1 cup chopped onion
2 chicken breast
Taco Seasoning (I use Atlantic Spice Co's)
2 cups rice (brown or white - sometimes I use quinoa instead!), prepared according to directions.
1 tsp of shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
1 tbsp of salsa (optional)
1. Put two chicken breasts in the crock pot, sprinkle with taco seasoning to your liking, and set on low to cook while you're at work (or wherever...)
2. Add EVOO to a skillet on low heat, then add chopped onions and corn. Cook until onions are transparent and corn is roasted.
3. Add can of rinsed black beans and mix together. Cook until beans are heated.
4. At the same time, use microwave or rice cooker to prepare 2 cups of rice.
5. When all items are ready, layer the plate with 1/2 cup rice, 1/2 cup of corn and bean mixture, a palm sized piece of chicken, and a sprinkle of shredded cheese or salsa if desired.