The Busy Giffs: @SaneMommy's Birthday Guest Post!

February 19, 2013

@SaneMommy's Birthday Guest Post!



My Favorite Birthday


Hi there! My name is Jessica and I blog over at Keeping Mommy Sane. I’m excited to be today’s guest blogger while Heather enjoys some much-needed birthday fun.

She asked me to write about my favorite birthday gift, which I will say stumped me for a bit. I tried thinking of my childhood birthdays. Did anything really stand out? A Barbie Dream House? A Cabbage Patch Doll? A New Kids on the Block “Live in Concert” VHS tape?

And I realized the answer was right in front of me, literally. My husband was the mastermind behind my best birthday ever.

I was about five months pregnant with my son as my 30th birthday approached. A wild and crazy night out on the town was obviously not going to happen. I was feeling large, uncomfortable, unattractive. I resigned myself to celebrating my new decade with a mineral water, a DVD rental and a 9pm bedtime.

Instead, my husband came through, as always. He orchestrated a two-part 30th birthday celebration fit for a hormonal pregnant lady. First, he sent me, my best friend and my sister-in-law out for a day of beauty and relaxation. I had never been to a “fancy spa” before, so I felt so decadent putting on the white terrycloth robe, drinking a glass of cucumber-infused water and listening to soothing New Age music as I enjoyed a much-needed prenatal massage, facial and pedicure.

I left feeling like a million bucks and much closer to the girl I was before those two pink lines showed up on the pregnancy test.

While we were away, my husband was busy. Little did I know, he had also been planning a 30th birthday dinner with our closest friends. This was meaningful for me in so many ways. When we moved to Baltimore four years earlier so he could attend graduate school, I didn’t know a single person in the area. I didn’t realize how hard it would be to make new friends in my mid-20s, especially since I worked in an office with people older than me, and most of my husband’s fellow grad students were younger than us. That first year was rough, and lonely.

But over time, we found our way, and I met some truly wonderful people who became my surrogate family for the five years we lived there. We spend the night of my birthday laughing and sharing stories over yummy eats (thanks to my chef husband) and fancy drinks (well, for almost all of us). To celebrate this milestone birthday with them – and with the husband who knew this was exactly what I needed – was truly something special, and is a night, and a birthday, I will never forget.



_______________________________________

I LOVE Jessica's story! Maybe it's because I'm jealous and desperately want a spa day! Give me a massage, a manicure and a haircut and I would be super happy!

Make sure you check out Jessica's blog or follow her on Twitter!


Have a Girl's Day Out at King Richard's Faire

I was provided admission in exchange for my review, however, all thoughts and opinions are my own.  It is definitely Fall now.  Sweatshirt...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...