August 3, 2012

Book Club




I know it's been a long time since I updated my 50 Book Challenge list but I've been posting other things on Friday, or haven't been posting at all so it's a bit of a book dump today!

Book #32 
Shoe Addicts Anonymous


From Amazon:
Four different women. One common shoe size. And a shared lust for fabulous footwear.
Helene Zaharis’s politician husband keeps her on a tight leash and cancels her credit cards as a way of controlling her. Lorna Rafferty is up to her eyeballs in debt and can’t stop her addiction to eBay. Sandra Vanderslice, battling agoraphobia, pays her shoe bills by working as a phone-sex operator. And Jocelyn Bowen is a nanny for the family from hell (who barely knows a sole from a heel but who will do anything to get out of the house.)
On Tuesday nights, these women meet to trade shoes and, in the process, form friendships that will help them each triumph over their problems---from secret pasts to blackmail, bankruptcy, and dating. Funny, emotional, and powerful, Shoe Addicts Anonymous is a perfect read for any woman who has ever struggled to find the perfect fit.

I actually really liked this book! Maybe I'm a bit of a shoe addict and would LOVE to find a group like this! I don't want the craziness of the rest of the women's lives but the group, absolutely!
This was a perfect easy, summer read.


Book #33
A Total Waste of Make Up


From Amazon:

Charlize "Charlie" Edwards certainly knows, in theory, what it takes to lead a successful and happy life. She owns a nice house in Silverlake, LA's trendiest neighborhood. She has glamorous and loyal friends who accompany her to the hottest clubs in town. And she works as the personal assistant to Drew Stanton, Hollywood's sexiest movie star. But she's also turning 30, chronically single, and faced with serving as maid of honor at her younger sister's wedding. Charlie finds herself struggling to juggle the chaos of wedding planning (while wondering if she'll ever wear the white dress herself), her all-consuming job for lunatic boss Stanton, and a serious crush on Jordan, a photographer on the set of Drew's latest feature--a man who might actually return her feelings. A page-turner from start to finish, A Total Waste of Makeup puts a fresh face on women's fiction.


This one was also a good book, I found myself rooting for one "team" over the other, you'll understand more if you read! It was another quick summer read that you could curl up with on the beach.
I really enjoy how conversational the writing is. You can almost picture Charlie sitting on the other side of the table saying it all.
I would absolutely recommend it!

Book #34
Bright Lights, Big Ass




From Amazon:
Jen Lancaster hates to burst your happy little bubble, but life in the big city isn't all it's cracked up to be. Contrary to what you see on TV and in the movies, most urbanites aren't party-hopping in slinky dresses and strappy stilettos. But lucky for us, Lancaster knows how to make the life of the lower crust mercilessly funny and infinitely entertaining.

Whether she's reporting rude neighbors to Homeland Security, harboring a crush on her grocery store clerk, or fighting-and losing-the Battle of the Stairmaster- Lancaster explores how silly, strange, and not-so-fabulous real city living can be. And if anyone doesn't like it, they can kiss her big, fat, pink, puffy down parka.



I don't think it's any secret that I adore Jennifer Lancaster.
I swear, if I was 15 10 years older and lived in Chicago, I would have written this book.
Her sense of humor and sarcasm directly mirror how I speak, so honestly, if you like my writing, check out hers, because hers is better, and published, and better.


Book #35
Such a Pretty Fat



From Amazon:
"To whom the fat rolls…I'm tired of books where a self-loathing heroine is teased to the point where she starves herself skinny in hopes of a fabulous new life. And I hate the message that women can't possibly be happy until we all fit into our skinny jeans. I don't find these stories uplifting; they make me want to hug these women and take them out for fizzy champagne drinks and cheesecake and explain to them that until they figure out their insides, their outsides don't matter. Unfortunately, being overweight isn't simply a societal issue that can be fixed with a dose healthy of positive self-esteem. It’s a health matter, and here on the eve of my fortieth year, I've learned I have to make changes so I don't, you know, die. Because what good is finally being able to afford a pedicure if I lose a foot to adult onset diabetes?"

I've said it before, actually above but whatever, I love this woman but this book was not my favorite. Yes, I found it funny that she struggles with weight loss like women but I guess I found it disappointing because even though almost all women struggle with weight, I couldn't relate to her in this book. And when you imagine that she's actually sitting there, talking to you while drinking a margarita, it doesn't bode well if it no longer feels that way.
I guess I'm just sad that the only way she found to really lose weight was a personal trainer, proving that if you do actually have a job and a family, it is downright impossible to also take the time necessary to focus on just you.


Book #36
The Fame Game


From Amazon:

In Hollywood, fame can be found on every corner and behind any door. You just have to know where to look for it. Nineteen-year-old Madison Parker made a name for herself as best frenemy of nice-girl-next-door Jane Roberts on the hot reality show L.A. Candy. Now Madison's ready for her turn in the spotlight and she'll stop at nothing to get it. Sure, she's the star of a new show, but with backstabbing friends and suspicious family members trying to bring her down, Madison has her work cut out for her. Plus, there's a new nice girl in "reality" town—aspiring actress Carmen Price, the daughter of Hollywood royalty—and she's a lot more experienced at playing the fame game... When the camera's start rolling, whose star will shine brighter?
Filled with characters both familiar and new, Lauren Conrad's series about the highs and lows of being famous delivers Hollywood gossip and drama at every turn.

I have a huge sweet tooth for anything Lauren Conrad, even though I never saw the Hills until oh, a year ago?
I love her clothes, her style and unashamedly, her books.
The Fame Game is the most recent installment of them and I'm in love.


14 books to go!

Keeping Up With The Giffords

1 comment:

  1. I loved Shoe Addicts Anonymous and its sequel as well. I've also loved all of Jen Lancaster's books, and while I haven't read The Fame Game, I have enjoyed the other Lauren Conrad books I've read.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...