July 10, 2012

Toxic Friends



Everyone has one right?
That friend that you know you really shouldn't be friends with.

Whether it's her talking about you behind your back, or only calling when no one else is around, or her complete inability to ever actually be around...
...I'm not the only one right!?

Now, I'm not talking about the friends who "don't understand the pressures of being a mom" or the "my priorities are different now" thing.
Granted, I don't go out to the bar anymore but do still have time with my friends, either out for dinner, or over the house to watch a crappy movie... I still make time for them.
And no, it's not always easy.
Sometimes I'm exhausted but seeing my friends just makes my day that much better so really, I love it.

But what about the friends that are no longer good for you?

I just purged a handful of Facebook "Friends" but one especially hurt.
I "unfriended" someone I once considered to be my best friend.

Not because I'm a mom and she's too out of touch with my schedule, no.
Not because she lives far away, no.

But because every time we make plans, "something happens", and the plans we made get flushed down the drain.
But then, that friend will go on my Facebook and "like" every single one of my pictures and statuses.
It's a bad relationship and my heart can't take no more.

I'm sure that when the time comes, I will go back to the way things were but for now, I feel a little bit better knowing that I'm not purposely subjecting myself to the emotional roller coaster of toxic friends.

Keeping Up With The Giffords

2 comments:

  1. First of all, did you change your blog name back or am I goin' crazy?;)
    We all have toxic friends, I have one on FB now that I unfriended and then she called me to ask me why I unfriended her and somehow, I am friends with her again! Aarrgh!
    I also have what is called a toxic neighbor. Not a friend really but someone who annoys the crap out of me and is always around.
    Don't feel bad, we all know what it is like.
    Cherish the real friends who make time for you and forget about the ones that don't. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My step-sister was that "toxic friend" in my life. We were best friends from the time we were 8-22... and then everything changed. I unfriended her on FB a few years back bc everytime I saw her on my feed, I'd get pissed or hurt and I just couldn't take the constant rehashing of feelings. Now we see eachother from time to time at family events and exchange small talk... and it still breaks my heart... 8 years later. But when you KNOW it's toxic, you KNOW you're doing the right thing... even if it hurts.
    Good for you... hang in there.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...