May 22, 2012

Why do you blog?



"Why do you blog?"

The number one reason: I like to.
It's free & I don't have to go anywhere to do it.
I don't feel guilty about spending money while I do it.

I have met some amazing people through my blog.
Some of them I now talk to on a daily basis via Twitter.
It's comforting when so many of my real life friends are so "not around".

I'm seeing this question even more as I am really getting myself into the blog world.

"Why do you blog?"

Some people are looking to make a living off of it, some people just want to share their arts and crafts projects.
So why do I do it?

I don't expect to make millions off my ramblings.
I don't have a shop or product I'm trying to sell.
I guess I like just having a place where I can write.

There is a difference between writing and blogging, and until January, I really was just writing.
But since, I've been using blogging to network and meet others, rather than make a living.

In an ideal world, I would get to blog about the randomness that I do but more companies would send me fun items to just give away or try out.
I don't want to make money blogging, then it becomes a job and I don't want that.
But if more companies sent me fun things to try out, like when we got to try out the Lamaze Tummy Mat, or tickets to fun events, I would be in heaven.

But that makes me question going to BlogHer.

I'm not a very good blogger, I don't have thousands of followers, and between working full time, having a husband who works opposite shifts, and taking care of a baby, sometimes the blog is on the back burner.
I'd be afraid of sponsors because what if the baby has a bad night and I couldn't post what I wanted to... I would have let someone down.

I am definitely a personal blogger.
Few giveaways, no reviews...

Is there really space for me at a conference full of women who make a living out of this?
 And then top of that, the expenses are daunting to me.

I was lucky enough to win a conference pass and have secured a room for a great discount, but after transportation and meals, I'd still be looking at close to $600.
I know, I know, nothing compared to what some others will pay but when that's the same amount as my half of the rent, it's hard to wrap my head around for something I see as a hobby.

But I still reeeeeeally want to go.

What would you do if you were me?



4 comments:

  1. Last year was my first BlogHer conference. It was a birthday present for my daughter who has been blogging before there even was a name for journaling online. I wasn't an active blogger last year, (ha I started blogging in 2007) and I wasn't sure how I would fit in to the conference. But I saw how excited daughter was and I got caught up in the BlogHer Fever.

    I don't blog for money, I do it to journal things going on in my life.

    My take on the conference? Was it worth the money spent to go to it? YES a million times yes. Of course there will be people there who are using blogging to earn a living, but I would venture to guess that most people going are just like you and me, people who don't know where they fit in in the blogosphere.

    http://www.blogher.com/i-consider-our-song-blogher11
    http://www.blogher.com/blogher-11-my-perspective-big-potty-life

    just a couple of blogs I wrote after coming home from San Diego. it's a don't miss, you won't be disappointed, I promise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my first year going and in a way I have the same question. I'm definitely a personal or lifestyle blogger. I don't fit into a specific category. I keep hearing I need that elevator speech, but the truth is I talk about me and my life. You may find it interesting or you may not. I'm not sure I want to fit into some little box, but I'm not doing it to be an expert at anything, I'm blogging for me and whoever it is that wants to listen.

    I did notice there is a great personal blogging track that they're offering at BlogHer so I think there is a place for us. I'll be there and would be happy to meet another personal blogger!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, if you can swing it, GO!! I haven't gone before but all I know is that tons of freebies plus learning about other bloggers and meeting them.... priceless! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  4. a I have a good number of followers, but little of that is organic. They're there mostly because of the giveaways and I realize that. That being said, I'm like you. I've got a place to stay and got the early bird ticket. I just need a way to get there. I actually want to do a lot more personal posts so I can be more well rounded. I'm not really a good blogger so I feel your pain trying to figure this all out! I hope we both end up going!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...