The Busy Giffs: Time

May 10, 2012

Time



Who isn't talking about this article right now?
I'm not sure how I feel about it.

It sparked a conversation between Dave and I about when I would be done breastfeeding.
Emma is almost a year old and I assumed I would wean at that point but I'm not going to lie to you, I'm a little sad about it.
I never thought I would be able to breastfeed, let alone continue it for a year and now I'm afraid that I will lose that time with her.
Do I think I would nurse her until she's 3? No.
12 months? 15 months? 18 months? I don't know.

I do know that this is NOT how you bring awareness to breastfeeding.
Is breastfeeding special to this mother and her child? 
Most likely, but I have to wonder, would so many people be upset about it if she was cradling a 6 month old?
Are people upset about the breastfeeding or the fact that the child is 3? I've seen multiple people comment:

 "It's fine if you do it, I just don't want to see it".

Hmmm... where have we heard that before?
As a mother who essentially attachment parents, I see no reason to scoff this mother for continuing to breastfeed her child. 
There is no evidence that prolonged breastfeeding hinders a child, just as data is inconclusive that it's "better" for them to continue after one year.

 It is a personal, special moment that can absolutely be shared in public. 
I breast feed in public. 
I let me daughter sleep in my bed when she wakes up at 4 am for a feeding.
Would you like to crucify me?

She's a mother who made the choice to make her decisions to breastfeed her child until he is 3 very public. She, and her son, will have to deal with the scrutiny of people everywhere for what I assume to be, years to come.
However, you won't hear me judge her.
She's a mom, doing what she feels is best for her kid.
And God help you, if you think you are mightier than that.



Easy Halloween Brownies

Did you know that in addition to coffee and mac and cheese, Halloween is another one of those things that everyone else seems to love and I ...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...